I remember when being called a geek was not a compliment (and wicked meant something bad). Over the past few years the term “geek” has evolved into something many people today brag about being or aspire to be. Long gone are the days when a geek was considered a socially inept nerd with pocket protectors and coke bottle lenses. Today a geek implies being tech savvy and/or an enthusiast of things outside of the mainstream spectrum. Because of their advanced technological skills and the ability to think outside of the box many geeks become successful entrepreneurs.
So back to the original question “Are you a geek?” Here are a few clues and links to help you determine your geek factor:
- You dress geek chic by wearing witty T-shirts http://www.zazzle.com/geek+tshirts that proclaim your geekiness. Babies even have several options in onesies http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/kids/9b07/ because as one manufacturer states “geeks come in all sizes”.
- You have a well diversified Geek chart. http://www.geekchart.com/ If you have difficulty completing the Geek chart, then you are not geek material.
- You know what it means to see the dreaded BSoD http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/blue_screen_survival_guide on your computer. If you don’t, you’re definitely not a geek.
- You choose to wear eyeglasses http://www.geekeyeglasses.com/ even though you don’t require them.
- You are a Stephanie Pakrul http://people.howstuffworks.com/geek-chic.htm or Charles Ross http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/one-man-star-wars.htm wannabe. (If you don’t know, don’t ask.)
- You’re truly upset by the cancellation of the reality show “Beauty and the Geek”. http://www.tv.com/show/32037/summary.html
- You attended DrupalconDC 2009. (enuff said) http://dc2009.drupalcon.org/
How did you fare? Have you got what it takes to be a geek? With the exception of the last bullet point, I think I’m on my way to true geekdom. Isn’t that totally wicked? But first, I need to make a stop by the reading glass display rack.
Hi and welcome to Virtually Done. I’m Leslie and it’s a pleasure to meet you! If you are an online entrepreneur or small business owner struggling to find enough time in your day to concentrate on the tasks you are passionate about, I can help you!
If you would like to learn more, please contact me. I’d love to hear from you!